Thursday, September 17, 2009

Connectivism Analogy

A learner is like a recycling bin. Many formerly useful objects like bottles, cans, plastics, and papers are put into these bins which are connected into the sanitation network. These items are taken to a recycling plant to be cleaned up, reformed, or adapted into newer items that are needed at that time. The process is cyclical and these new items will once again become obsolete and need to be revamped themselves. As George Siemens states in his 2007 lecture on YouTube, The Network is the Learning, "What we know today is not as important as our ability to continue to stay current. So, if what I know today is going to change because knowledge changes rapidly [and] if I'm not continually learning, I'm becoming obsolete in my particular field or within a particular knowledge space." Like the recycled materials, information is becoming outdated rapidly in today's digital world and is in constant need of reshaping. Learners need to possess the ability to network in order to stay connected to the changing knowledge base so that they do not fall behind. At the current rate of knowledge turnover, Siemens goes on to say that, "We can no longer personally experience and acquire learning that we need to act. We derive our competence from forming connections" (2005). This condition stresses the importance of technology and social interaction in continuing the flourishing of knowledge growth. If learners are unable to know where to connect and who to connect with, they will become archaic and unnecessary along with the outdated knowledge they possess. It is the job of teachers to learn the skills themselves and commit to being lifelong learners so that they can educate their students to be successful by passing these learned skills along.

References
Siemens, G. (2005). Connectivism: A learning theory for the digital age. International journal of instructional technology and distance learning. Retrieved September 12, 2009 from http://www.itdl.org/journal/jan_05/article01/htm.

Siemens, G. (2007). The Network is the learning. Retrieved September 12, 2009 from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpbkdeyfxzw&feature=playlist&p=3e43054a8703f57a&index=4.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent points! I didn't think of a recycling bin. But now I can see how it connects.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sentence, "If learners are unable to know where to connect and who to connect with, they will become archaic and unnecessary along with the outdated knowledge they possess." - it could also apply to teachers as well, right?

    Nice metaphor - I like the idea that "cyclical" is a part of the human condition. My teaching improves each year because I recycle the many life lessons learned (the good, bad and ugly) through trial and error & comaraderie with fellow teachers.

    ReplyDelete